The first time I ate stromboli was a few years ago at 3:00 in the morning after a night out in Fort Myers, Florida. And oooohh my, did it taste delicious! Our friend’s mother had made it for us, knowing we would likely be hungry when we got back to her house. My husband and I often reminisce about that late-night meal and immediately we are both salivating as badly as our 6-month-old drool machine, Sammy. Over the years, we have talked about attempting a stromboli recipe ourselves, but we just never did it. Until now!
I didn’t want to make just any old stromboli recipe. I wanted to make one that looked and sounded really good. I kept my eyes open for a while and eventually I came across this recipe from Parenting magazine, of all places. It is incredible! We had a friend over at our house when it came out of the oven and the three of us stood at the kitchen counter and devoured almost the entire thing as if we were cows at the trough.
You have to make this! Yes, I’m giving orders. I don’t want anyone to miss out.
Veggie Cheese StromboliIngredients:
- ½ cup pitted kalamata or black olives
- 8-10 sun-dried tomato halves, packed in oil
- 1 tablespoon oil from the sun-dried tomato jar
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 12-15 slices provolone cheese
- 10-oz. box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain excess water
- 12-oz. bottle roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and cut into strips
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine the olives, sun-dried tomatoes and oil in a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a rough paste.
- Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin; roll dough into a 14×10-inch rectangle. Spread with olive mixture, leaving a 1-inch border around the dough edges on all sides. Top mixture with overlapping slices of cheese; add the spinach in an even layer. Finally, add the red pepper strips in a single layer, long sides parallel to the long sides of the dough rectangle.
You can find complete recipes of this Veggie Cheese Stromboli in pipandebby.com