A fast and easy weeknight dinner recipe, the whole family will love this lemony, garlicky, shrimp and broccoli penne pasta.
This dish is the perfect culmination of my family: it has pasta for my husband, shrimp for my 4 year old and lots of broccoli for Mama. The youngest? Well luckily, that boy eats anything and everything.
If you aren’t a seafood loving family like we are, simply swap out shrimp for chicken or even sausage. Similarly, any type of short pasta would work. Just use whatever you have on hand!
To save even more time in the cooking process, you can also always add the broccoli to the pot of boiling pasta about 2-3 minutes before you’re ready to strain the pasta. How you like them apples?
hatever you do, don’t forget the cheese. You really can’t have too much freshly grated parmesan cheese in my book.
Your fork is waiting.
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne – cooked according to package instructions
- ¼ cup olive oil – divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic – grated
- 2 large heads broccoli – cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- juice and zest of one lemon
- parmesan cheese, minced parsley or basil and red chili flakes – to serve
- chili flakes and parmesan cheese – optional garnish
- When cooking the pasta, reserve 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid and set aside. Strain pasta and receive.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towel then sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and heat for 30 seconds to release aroma then add the shrimp.
- Sauté shrimp in the pan until they turn pink, just 3-4 minutes total, being careful not to over cook. Remove from pan and set aside.
You can find complete recipes of this SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI PENNE in thelemonbowl.com