Grilled cheese month. It’s a thing.
April is also deemed the month of the BLT sandwich, soft pretzels, soy foods (don’t even ask) and a personal favorite – garlic. But for some reason grilled cheese month is the only thing that seems to be shouted from the Internet rooftops.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil and garlic over a medium heat. Saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, salt and sugar. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle to a medium heat.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of sauce on each slice of bread. Top with four ounces of slices of cheese. Top with 4-5 leaves of basil.
- Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place top of bread, sauce side down on cheese and basil. Brush tops with butter. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place sandwich butter side down in heated skillet (work in batched if needed), brush other side with butter. Cook until golden brown and crispy on each side and the cheese is melted. (If you are having a hard time getting the cheese to melt, pop into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.
Source of this PIZZA MARGHERITA GRILLED CHEESE is cookingforkeeps.com