In an effort to alleviate the morning rush, I spent a little time in the kitchen making breakfast burritos for our freezer.
From freezer to plate, these burritos take a minute or two to warm in the microwave and that’s it for breakfast prep on school mornings or work mornings or any morning when you don’t have a lot of time.
How To Make Egg & Sausage Burritos (Freezer Recipe)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound breakfast sausage
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
your favorite shredded cheese
10-12 medium or fajita sized tortillas
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook the sausage, pepper, and onion, breaking up the sausage into tiny pieces while cooking. Set aside
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until combined. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and melt a tablespoon of butter all over the pan. Add the eggs and scramble until cooked through.
3. Warm the tortillas per the package instructions. Layer 1/2 cup scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup cooked sausage, 1-2 Tbsp. shredded cheese, and a little salsa on a warmed medium sized tortilla. Fold up into a burrito.
4. Place each burrito on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and flash freeze in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Store the burritos in a plastic freezer bag.
5. At breakfast time, place frozen burrito on a plate and cover with a cloth napkin or paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds. Cut burrito in half and cover back up. Heat for 30-60 seconds or until warm all the way through.
Side note: I wrap a few in foil to store in the freezer for my husband to take to work. Just remove foil before heating in the microwave. Heat through and wrap back up in the foil to keep the burrito warm.