Baked Fries with Garlic Sauce and Oregano. Baked potato wedges served with garlic hummus tahini Oregano sauce. These Garlic Fries are super addictive and just like the deep fried Mediterranean Garlic Fries. Add vegan feta if you like. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Snack Recipe.
Every time I am around Bellevue, I remember how much I like the food at Garlic crush and pick up a falafel sandwich and their garlic fries sans feta. They are fries, all fried, crisp and hot dripping with this garlicky tangy dressing. Its one of those once a while indulgence like fried Samosas.
Most days we pick up the just fries for the road. I have no clue why I always get hungry as soon as I am in the car. Even if it is right after a heavy lunch. 5 Minutes into the drive, I will get an urge to munch. It probably runs in the family. Or so Mom says. I cannot imagine how she handled 3 constantly munching kids while driving them around :).
I decided to so something about that craving with a baked version. I feel much happier eating this and my tummy thanks me too! for several reasons including homemade is always better/fresher. These baked garlic fries take just a few minutes to throw together. Chop up potatoes, toss in oil and bake. Cook some chopped garlic to golden. Blend the sauce + garlic and keep ready. Dress (the fries) and impress. For variation, use baked sweet potatoes or root vegetables.
For the Fries:
- 2 large russet potatoes cut into thin wedges or fat match sticks
- 2 to 3 tsp starch like arrowroot or flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp or more dried oregano, or use fresh
Garlic Tahini Hummus Sauce:
- 2 tsp oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced/finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp hummus (or use cooked chickpeas + lemon juice)
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 to 3 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste (1/4 to ½ tsp)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp or more dried dill or parsley
- 2 to 3 Tbsp water as needed to thin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or oregano for garnish
- Bake the fries: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Chop the potatoes. Press a paper towel on the potatoes to absorb excess moisture if needed.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped potatoes and toss in flour/starch. Then add oil and mix in. Sprinkle will salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and mix in.
- Spread the potatoes on parchment lined baking sheet with atleast a ¼ inch between them. *Parchment papers have oven safe temperature mentioned on them. Do not use parchment with temp rating lower than 425. Bake on a greased baking sheet instead.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the sheet around and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until golden/golden brown on most edges. do not over bake to too much brown as the potatoes get bitter when burnt.
You can find complete recipes of this BAKED FRIES WITH GARLIC SAUCE in veganricha.com